According to statistics, homeschooling in the United States has increased 74% in the last eight years.
Why? We do not believe that it is because of a lack of faith in our public school systems as much as it is a growing desire to see MORE education and more focus on real issues that will eventually effect the home.
We have toured this country for many years teaching and presenting in thousands of schools and have addressed not only hundreds of thousands of school students but their very concerned parents. Disaster preparedness is always an issue that raises more questions than it provides answers. How do I teach it to my children without frightening them? How do I deal with the tough issues after a disaster? Do I allow my kids to see the news of current disasters? How do I involve them in our planning?
We have found that the world of disaster preparedness is a wide world of educational opportunity filled with science, history, social science, mathematics and literature. It is through this new blog that we intend to provide those tips, stories and insights that we have shared as we toured. Stay tuned here for programs, guides and curriculum additions as well.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

One book


Are you taking advantage of your local library and its programs?
For years now I have spoken at thousands of schools, but never have I seen the fruit that I have seen come from the local library systems. In the last few years our library tours have increased dramatically and I could not be happier. I know, it sounds “corny” to talk about the power of a book, but I really believe in it.
A few years ago I met a very unique and odd little man. He told me a crazy story of a book he had taken from his local library as a boy…
It turns out that the book was about lightning and Benjamin Franklin. After a few weeks, the librarian wanted her book back, but the book had become the most valuable possession the little 5th grader had ever held and so he held onto the book, taking odd jobs to pay the overdue fines.
The book grew. It grew inside the boy and became a part of his life; it became a source of inspiration and gnawed at his curiosity. As an adult in his 40’s the man became an inventor and created a one-of-a-kind lightning detection system that is in use worldwide. The system is used to protect critical infrastructural equipment and facilities, railroads, telecommunications towers, hospitals, fire departments, dispatch centers and schools.
One boy.
One library.
One book.
In this country we are always looking for the latest thing, but have we taken time to look for the oldest? It is hidden in your local library.
I imagine a world for my children that is much different than the one we live in now. I imagine a world with better tornado warning systems, with cleaner air and cleaner fuels… it could very well be that YOUR child is the one that will discover it in a book somewhere. An unfinished experiment ages old could be lurking on a shelf very close to your home.
Dig deep.